Release Notes for XWiki Enterprise 2.3 Milestone 2

Last modified by Thomas Mortagne on 2023/10/13

Second and last milestone of the XWiki Enterprise 2.3 version (Roadmap).

Both lucene and web search pages are broken in this release. This has been fixed and will be part of the next release. There is no easy workaround for this except fixing the pages or getting them from

The highlights of this release are: annotations applications improvements, new spanish translations for the WYSIWYG editor, bugfixes.

New and Noteworthy (since XWiki Enterprise 2.3 Milestone 1)

New Annotations Section in the Administration

It allows to:

  • specify if and where annotations are active (whole wiki, only some spaces, etc)
  • configure the annotation types
  • fine tune how annotations are displayed


  • WYSIWYG newly supported language: Spanish
  • All the translations have been updated


  • Allow entering @, ? and # characters in link references
  • Many improvements to the MediaWiki parser

Important bugs fixed

  • XWIKI-5057 : Rights aren't saved if the groups/users radio button is not manually selected  
  • XE-634 : RecentChanges fails to display with some mysql versions  
  • Renaming pages with special characters in their names works fine now
  • WYSIWYG editor can now edit pages with special characters in their names

Known issues

Backward Compatibility and Migration Notes

General Notes

If you're running in a multiwiki setup you'll also need to define the property to your xwiki.cfg file or explicitly name all databases to be migrated as in <tt>,db2,....

You may also want to import the default wiki XAR in order to benefit from the improvements listed above.

Always make sure you compare your xwiki.cfg file with the newest version since some configuration parameters were added. Note you should add so that XWiki will attempt to automatically migrate your current database to the new schema. Make sure you backup your Database before doing anything.

Upgrade and Migration Notes

  • Standalone/inline Macro parsing has been fixed.

    There has been a bug that appeared when we released the new XWiki Syntax 2.0 several releases back and which we've finally fixed in this release. Basically if you had a macro followed by a new line and then another macro, both macros were considered as being standalone. This is now fixed and they are correctly considered by the parser as inline. More specifically if you were previously using a standalone macro (such as the TOC macro or the HTML macro) and your macro wasn't separated from a previous macro by at least 2 new lines, it'll now fail to render.

    In addition, several pages that are part of the XWiki Enterprise default XAR were not written correctly and didn't have these 2 new lines as mentioned above. We've fixed these pages too but you'll need to make sure you import them in your existing wiki (if you're upgrading) since otherwise these pages will fail to display correctly. These pages are:

    • Main.RecentChanges
    • Main.AllDocs
    • XWiki.Tableview
    • XWiki.Treeview
    • XWiki.AllAttachments
    • XWiki.OrphanedPages
    • XWiki.DeletedDocuments
    • XWiki.DeletedAttachments
    • XWiki.XWikiUserPreferencesSheet
    • Sandbox.WebHome
  • Header id generation changed a bit and more special characters are now allowed in id names: hyphens ("-"), underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".") are not filtered anymore.

Get Connected